Sunday, March 4, 2012

Reflection

Reflection:
Today I've decided to reflect over the past year. It might be lengthy and boring to some so perhaps a few of you might want to just bypass this one.
I thought about this year because yesterday, a year ago, Clint asked my father if he could ask me to marry him. Clint and my father are the two most amazing men in the world and for them to have that relationship is priceless and what I've always dreamed of. I thought about this time a year ago and suddenly felt like part of it was years instead of months ago and other parts seem like yesterday. So much has changed over this past year and more than anything, it has taught me not to take anything for granted.
I knew with Clint's career and to really pursue his dreams of his career, that it meant most likely not living in SC forever. I also knew, a year ago, that my second year teaching would be a million times easier than my first year. I knew that I could spend many weeks in the summer preparing my room for the year and really getting things organized, something I wasn't able to do last year. With the wedding and my second year teaching all working out as planned, I thought this would be the smoothest year, yet. Things change and life is beyond unpredictable. With things changing at work and Clint getting calls from major engineering companies, we knew the move was in our future, sooner rather than later. I remember taking Clint to the airport for his trip to Nebraska for the interview. It still feels me with the eager yet unsettling life changing feeling that I went to work with that morning. It's the uncertainties we have, in everyday life that we don't know what every single decision is going to bring to our future. He called once he landed, again when he got to the hotel, again before the interview and obviously right after. The job is everything he wanted, plus more. A day after he landed back in South Carolina, he got a call with the job offer. As I look back I remember wondering if I would be able to finish the school year out with him moving in October. I can't imagine getting married in December and being 1,700 miles away from him for the next six months. I feel like this change in our life, only two months before the wedding was crazy for lack of better words. I still am uncertain of how it all worked out, in the since of getting everything done. We were able to pack up my entire house in less than two weeks, load it on a Penske truck and I then moved back in with my parents for two months. Clint drove all the way out to Nebraska with the truck and his car towed behind. I visited over Thanksgiving and then got back on the plane, tears and all.
Looking back, I still am in amazement on how everything worked out. I know a huge part of the success was the help of my parents and Clint's parents. The move and adjustments would of been so FAR from smooth or even possible without them. I miss my friends and family more than words can ever say but I'm also so beyond blessed with experiences that are not replaceable. I've been able to see a different lifestyle, climate and learn more about myself than I believe I ever could. The experience of seeing different schools has been priceless. I LOVE to see different teaching styles and technology working in classrooms to its fullest potential. It's amazing how different schools are in different parts of our country. I feel like every school has so much to offer and ultimately I like to think these experiences just make me a stronger teacher. At this point, we have no clue what life will bring to us but we know that it's a great journey that we are forever grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment